Bank Holiday Monday was a damp day with showers so I did not do a lot other than plant out four pea plants, that I sowed in a plug tray, in the veggie patch. I will make a separate post about germination at a later date.
Tuesday on my return from work I find that something has dug a hole in the raised strawberry bed so I put a piece of fencing around it to keep the rabbits out.
On Wednesday I find another hole in the same place and after much thought realise it must be a squirrel that is doing it unless my rabbits have learnt how to jump a two foot high fence 🙂
It has been dry this week and though we had that damp day on Monday I have been watering every evening since especially the patch which is drying out quicker than the container vegetables.
I have a blue plastic barrel that I had been saving to maybe grow carrots in like I had seen in a television program on allotment gardening.
Now the need for room for those potato tubers is greater so out comes the jigsaw and a hole saw and before long two containers with drainage holes on the sides.
That just leaves four tubers and I squeezed them into the main patch.
I am posting a picture of the potatoes that I planted in a old crate a while back, by the same method, so you can see how they are doing.
The other main thing to note for the weekend is I made a cage to keep that dam squirrel out of the strawberry patch. No doubt he will move onto the gooseberries or some other plants.
I notice the runner beans are starting to appear but not sure how many yet.
I finish the weekend off by getting the garden hose out and giving the vegetable patch a good soaking as the water butts are nearly empty now.